Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Being Called "Bihari"


Even if You are not born in Bihar or Your grandpa has left the state of bihar some 40 years back and you have never ever known which town in bihar your ancestoral home was once upon a time, but still you are a bihari by all means. You can't be a Bengali or Asames, Andhraite or any other "li,es or ite", even though your family has been contributing to society or the state where you are currently residing for past 40 years as much as any "li,es or ite" may or more than any of those so called "li, es or ite". You always have to mention that once upon a time your roots are from bihar and you are a bihari, not the "li, es or ite" of that state. Ahhh to much of melodrama right, but this is what I am or have to say when some one ask me where you belong to. And there is no harm in admiting and no regret to accept the fact that I am a bihari and I said this to each and everyone, who has asked me with my head full of pride. But mind you this confession will bring you some well practiced adjective and features to your profile, that so called civilized society of that particular state or the person asking, has attributed to a bihari. But whats wrong with it? I say no harm... Then why this waste of resource of space and energy for this word called "bihari".

I wanted to write about this being Bihari for a long time but my perception and view about being labeled as Bihari has changed dramaticaly since I have come to Delhi. What was my strong belief of being Bihari, what it meantto the rest of India, has been attacked and belief has been jolted by what this Delhi/NCR people think of  Bihari.

I will write or bifurcate my content in two parts a) being Bihari in eastern India and b)being bihari in North
India (Delhi/Ncr)

Part -A


If you live in bengal the special adjective  for bihari is "Merdua [and NRB (non reliable biharies)]"- It means someone who don't have manner,s illiterate, rowdy and, raunchy, you have the freedom to ornate this word with any adjective in that sense whcih exemplify a ugly thoughtless, mannerless creature. Ohhh too nasty... But the best part is that every bihari who, whom I know, lives in bengal takes it as an compliment to their status. They have a complete different meaning for that word "Merdua". For us, the bihari, it is an compliment of our bravery and our boldness that we can show off at any time and at any place, no matter where we are, who all are watching us, etc etc. Because nothing bothers us, we are the free spirit and we do things as we please and we care a damm what others think of us. Let me clarify one thing not every bihari take this compliment positively, there are few who takes offence of this as well, poor fellows but they are very few. Hey I didn't belong to the category of those poor moron who take offence of this, I was a proud bihari who took pride in the word till I crossed the hallowed wall of NIT Jamshedpur. Hey, don't blabber like this, anyone from that exceptional moron and forlorn souls can ask me, whether I have any facts to boast our bravery in public with so much authority. I would ask those sophistacted idiots to shut up and enjoy a incidence that I am going to narrate,

" It was at a time when I was returning from tuition in class 12, I was returing home, traveling in the local train. Me and my friends where having usual chatter and fun in our on bihari style, shouting, screaming at each other without caring a damm even though we where blowing others eardrum off. One of our bihari bhai' would be 12 to 13 years of age, standing at the trai's gate, actulay swiveliing around the pole of the gate, performing his pole dancing. So what so amazing about pole dancing to be mentioned here, Hey shut up and just watch the bravery act. Actualy there are concrete pole standing tall beside the railway line to support the web of electric wire and at some palce they are merely 1 feet away from the chasis of the train. And you may even kiss them if you have the guts while the train is running not only kissing it will give you the best possible opportunity to meet our Gods. Come back to the pole dancing act, Now you can understand how brave the fellow bihari bhai was performing his pole dance to seduce the God, may be Indra can give him a chace to perform in the swarg (after all we are in the modern world where pink is not an illegal colour or attitude to be displayed in public, so why bar the Gods, they have equal roghts as well. Poor fellow his dancing was 6 years ago, he was to ahead of his time to get a call from swarg to perform... never mind keep trying you will surely get a call) . Ahhh, that bloddy bengali, so called bhodro( mannered) student. He did not like the pole dancing to be performed by my bihari bhai, actualy he was jealous of him, may be he wanted to be performing in swarg before him. Any ways he broke the temmpo of the pole dancing and the tune of singing. And bluntly told my bhai or requested (bengali can't ask a bihari in commanding voice, right) to stop his pole dancing or he may die and will book a meeting with the God. Ohh God, poor bhodro student... how dare you? Told my bhai... He made that bengali confessed that he has done wrong by interupting him, and threaten him that he will "bhasm" him ( by his 3rd eye) if he again dare to intrupt him. Ahh so brave, isn't he?... Yes he is, And he pull down the curtain on the incident giving a brave speech by saying:
" Sala hum nahi pole se latkenge to kaun latkega... M******d pata kaise chalega ki hum bihari ke baal bacha hai... bangali me dum nahi hota train se latakne ka..."
Poor bhodro fellow, he held his head down in defeat and watched the next performance after a break... cheers mate... I too felt the pride in my heart to be bengali oppss to be bihari.... And I tell you, it's not that we boasted and felt pride of our bravery act only... We have an strong backing of the results of all government exam, irrespective of state or post, we the bihari dominate every sector... ( this one is for not so brave bihari like me who boasted it and helds his head high for this fact). This is one such bravey act I have seen or witness, there are many such bravery act, that has earned us the coveted title of "Mrdua", which I would love to narrate... but sorry time and space both are constraint..

All these years that I lived at home, till college, NIT Jamshedpur, and even till my tenure in hyderabad, I strongly belived that bihari are the most dominate community and the most rowdy-ly brave community in India. Each one of us boast the fact, only one bihari is more than enough to ripped apart asses of 10 other people and we had the capacity to transform harmony into cacophony...

Part-B


When I reached delhi. I was the same brave bihari, but a more mature one with experince of various other city, and being an experienced and due to age I have learnt to keep bihari in me in control and decided to give my Kolkataite a chace to show off.... But poor me I was accompanied by an uncle cum friend, a bihari, he refused to drop down his bihari attitude and roamed around thumping and roaring and stamping the fact that he is a bihari, at every landlord I went to find a flat. I remained slient and let him talk... Result was that many simply refused to rent a flat to us, and denied in a dominating attitude alien to biharies, with disdain attitude towards us. It was realy a jolt for me, That friend of mine tried to force the issue in bihari ways giving all kind of evidence and refernce of highly powerfull goverment official that he knows and what he can do... But to my surprise nothing worked, this could have fetched me a flat at cheaper rate any where in the other cityies that I have visited. But things were different here, every other person in delhi specily the land lords seem to know the Union minister personaly... So this bihari attitude didn't worked in delhi... As the days passed I realized that bihari brave attitude that seemed to work every where does not work in Delhi... Bihari are no more the dominace force out here and their bravery act has taken a back sheet... The Jaat and the haryanwi's are the bihari of Delhi (huge compliment for a Jaat... [:-/] ) Interesting part is that if there is any brawl or a some kind of mishap happens on the street or in the metro., and one of the persson involved try to dominate the other person, most of the Time next person start his fight by the saying:
 " arre mere ko bihari samaj ke rakha hai kya... sala kuch bhi bolega kya.. mai bihari nahi hu Delhi se hu ( in typical haryanwi accent)... "
This exactly what happened when two commuter in the metro launched an argument two days ... I smiled at my self at the fact bihari's can't be ignored no matter what is happening and who are involved... :P...

I went into a deja-vu, how the meaning of being bihari has changed from one part of India to other part.... All those past dominating pride that I had being a bihari while staying in eastern part of India has went for a toss...this part of the country being bihari does not means the dominating community but it only symmbolizes the labour class or some one who cheat rent and other stuff...

No offence to any bihari, I can't offened a bihari as I am one myself and a Proud one... This a onepart of the story that I have seen, faced, experienced and living with... But one thing for sure we bihari's need to change to be respected by others... We need amendment in our attitude for the sake of our own improvment and have to stop enjoying the label of being noisome creature... enough of crap Sighning out... [:)]

23 comments:

kunal said...

mast likha hai beta....hum aur tum hi jan sakte hain NRB hone ka dard..grt goin bro

Ankesh at Talk said...

@ Kunal...

Ha dost bas hum log hi samaj sakte hai kya bit ta hai hum logo pe jab NRB bolte hai... sala bengal me log bihari bolte the aur coll me bengali... hum log to kahi ke nahi rahe... heheh [:)]

Indra said...

A good experience in east & north but bhai u have missed the important part of Bihari exp. in western part Mumbai under the shadow of Mr. Raj ....

In east NRB dominate west being dominated .....north consolidated...south no affect i feel..

ingit said...

just to add...for the experience faced by lads of UP and Bihar in west, i got a chance to celebrate last diwali at one of my maharashtriyan friend's place....accompanying me was another friend of mine from MP(i'm from UP)....we were treated quite nicley over there by the hosts (his family).....then came the day when we were supposed to leave for poona....that day one of his relative (tauji) came with his diwali greetings...we were introduced to him...he spoke quite nicley to my friend...and while he was leaving he turned towards the other guy (MP waala) and said ...tumse milenge hum...kyunki tum MP se ho...and then he looked at me...gave a typical look and went awya...i was literally shocked...i couldn't even understand, what he meant by that...anyways, i just ignored the statement immediately and came back to poona...

Ankesh at Talk said...

@Indra

Yaar is not an inert place towards us... But they have I particular aversion towards noth Indian as a whole... like We had towards them.. so its a futual love of aversion... [:)]

@ Ingit

Seriously strange of the people how they treat people from Bihar and UP. What is the god damm fault of us... nyways Its now part and parcel of our life..

md. said...

lovely piece of article.

wat ever might b ur xperience but BIHARI ko kuch jagho par babnaam bhi kiya jata hai.
like agar kolkalites bhi agar kuch kiya hai to log kahte hai "bihari samjha hai kya?".
I think Biharies has changed and r changing with time in a +ve direction towards the glory.
but jo bhi ho blog must hai.

ANKESH said...

@ MD

arre wo to hai ki bahut jagah bekar ka bihari logo badnam karte hai... karte hai kuch log lekin badnam sab hote... lekin agar dekha jaye to kahi na kahi apne aadat se majboor hai hum log...

[venom] said...

Its just not only wid Biharis, but with all minorities in a state. For example telegus are called khatta! If u r the odd 1 in a group, u will face these types of things.

Uncommon Sense said...

interesting observations

vicious said...

where did my comment go ??:P

vicious said...

mmmm ..but very accurate n true presentation ..the west bengal part ..have actually seen this happening ..

Ankesh at Talk said...

@venom...

I have no complain with the adjectives added to bihari... What I have seen and experienced is that in way our unperturbed ignorance and admant attitude invites this kind of flake from people... so all I wanted to say is we should be only crying of regionalism from other people but we should also do the introspection...

Ankesh at Talk said...

@ U.S.

Thanx

Ankesh at Talk said...

@ Vicious
Even I am confused where these comments are disappearing... I tried to respond the comments but had to do it thirce to respond... God knows where they have been lost...


What I have written is very comon in Kolkata and specialy places away from kolkata u could see this happening very often... :)

Sudhir Kekre said...

Ankesh,

visiting your blog for the first time. very hard hitting. But my opinion is slightly diff. I knw many biharis and they all r very smart.
( so are you!). cant change the indian mindset.
we indians are prisoners of cliches.
keep writing.

Nishit said...

first of all brother... i read 60% of your blog as i feel off reading lengthy blogs(sry to say that).....yaar don't write so long blogs instead break them into 2 or 3 blogs........vaise i got ur idea what u trying to convey.....Without Bihari guys none of our flyovers or big Hotels would have been built because it's them who do the labour work.....Also Every third Bihari is an IAS officer.....there's nothing bad about being a bihari....you should be proud :D

Ankesh at Talk said...

@ Sudhir,

Thanx for visiting d blog comment... I never expected highly placed professionals like u visiting my blog... A pleasent surprise..

And I never said bihari are not smart.. we are very smart people... my moto o writing this post was just to present an very obvious side of biharies. we kind of feel a sadistic pleasure when we know we have done some nuisance... or disturb d equilibrum of place.. its there with us... and no bihari will deny that...


Me being smart... I realy doubt that... kind of step that I have taken in last one year... like resigning from my job coz I didn't had any work to do or i don't waned to do just copy paste and waste my engg degree... now people are kicking me out from nterviews like any thing... its tit for tat now... :)

thanx oce again for reading...

Ankesh at Talk said...

@ Nishit

Sorry mate for the long post and if it bored u... but this post required along post...

nyways I am proud to be bihari.. I wanted to show a other side of being bihari... the admant attiude and sadistic pride we feel when ever we achieve the act of disrupting the equilibrim of somebody else... :P

Anonymous said...

hi ankesh
i am a tv journalist working in Delhi. Currently working on a special show in run up to the bihar elections. Would be great if i can get in touch with you.
Thanks
marya

Anonymous said...

hi ankesh
i am a tv journalist working in Delhi. Currently working on a special show in run up to the bihar elections. Would be great if i can get in touch with you.
Thanks
marya

suneel sharma said...

Very beautiful yaar...wisdom all way...

Excellent Writing and Great content

Mr controversial said...

"kuch to log kahege logo ka kaam hai kahana"
....are yaar bolne wale bihari kya uriya banglioyn ke liiye bhi bahut kuch bolte hai .but tumne sunane ke saath saath saha bhi hai wo alag baat hai.
dukhi hone ki koi baat nahi ye soch ke kush ho jao ki tum SARDAR nahi ho
:p

dipdesire said...

Nice entry......
Waise Jo incident bataya hai class 12 ka, wo sadhu khan sir ke yahan se aate waqt ka tha ya physics tuition ke baad ka?????
Well... Just to remind u... S.P. Shaw sir ka comment yaad hi hoga bt Merdua..
College me unke Jo hua tha....
Waise khatta pehli baar suna....